Beavers  

RSS

Shadowdog
(@shadowdog)
11/12/2017 5:27 pm  

cor blimey I see beavers are now being introduced near the river, does that mean they will build dams to help hold up the flooding undoing all the work WUF have been doing removing them.?

ReplyQuote
seeker
(@seeker)
12/12/2017 10:23 am  

Be somewhat ironic I suspect ,but its been hailed a success elsewhere it seems.   They don't seem to have spread in Scotland though only -so I am told-because  neighbouring areas have not 'allowed' them to if you get my drift.. Plenty of deer, boar and badger hunters in the forest to keep them culled -oh sorry I mean under control.

ReplyQuote
peter@chiltonscomputers.co.uk
(@peterchiltonscomputers-co-uk)
Member Admin
13/12/2017 9:28 am  

I have to admit that I like them :-). They have something for everyone, of course they arent going to build dams on the mainstem or the main tributaries where most of the spawning takes place, especially up above the Barbel Zone, despite WUF 'opening up' the tiny streams to attempt to lure the spawning fish into the smallest tribs. These are where the Beavers will, well. Beavering away and of course they will help prevent flash flooding, redd washout etc and give WUF something to do opening up the streams again ...... now lets get down to some serious work Counting Cormorants, that will sort them out, haven't they been counted before by, oh yes, the angling trust, why count them again? Surely they need controlling not counting?

Makes me laugh when I see WUF's claims at improved this and that from millions of £'s worth of river gardening when a box of 1000 shotgun cartridges and a few hundred rounds of .22 rimfire would have a bigger impact .....

ReplyQuote
Shadowdog
(@shadowdog)
14/12/2017 8:09 pm  

But we are not allowed to shoot the blighters are we. I have a large natural pond which three years ago was covered in duck weed I have always had fish in the pond of various species but the herons have cleared them out, i learnt on the net that grass carp will eat the duck weed and in my wisdom I bought twenty of them ( far too many I am told) but the weed went in the first year and so did many of the fish so again in my wisdom I had a two ft high wire netting fence put all round the pond , that has preserved the remaining grass carp but we couldn’t see them so my dear wife bought five goldfish for something to see. Well they bread last year and we now have dozens of them and the herons are there every day walking the perimeter trying to get them. I am told that you are only allowed to shoot two a year is that right anyone? Btw the grass carp love iceberg lettuce we feed them one every week.Luckely I haven’t seen a cormorant yet.

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
19/12/2017 9:22 am  

Oh no Shadowdog I don't think you are allowed to cull Herons or even Kingfishers.

ReplyQuote
Shadowdog
(@shadowdog)
19/12/2017 5:48 pm  

O dear, but we are not allowed to do lots of things but they are done every day as long as you are not seen?

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
21/12/2017 11:57 am  

I said, not allowed I didn't say that you couldn't risk arrest by choosing to undertake such practices, the choice is obviously yours.

Edited: 2 months  ago

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
23/01/2018 11:23 am  

Scottish Government consultation on the beavers can be seen here

http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2017/12/7354/20

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©[2017]wye salmon association

Forgot your details?