2017 Salmon Catches River Wye  

RSS

peter@chiltonscomputers.co.uk
(@peterchiltonscomputers-co-uk)
Member Admin
26/10/2017 10:14 am  

With WSA recording 1062, WUF reporting 1102, the NRW/EA figures will surely be 30% less, who knows what the catch is?

Significantly the catch of back end spawners is increasing as a percentage of the overall catch 2017 - 19.1%. 2016 - 17.6%.
2015 - 11.7%. 2014 - 12.9%. 2013 - 13.8%.

ReplyQuote
Shadowdog
(@shadowdog)
02/11/2017 7:57 pm  

I really do think that as WSA now has a voice on the river they should lobby NRW to end the season at the end of September like it used to be. The increasing percentage of fish being caught in October might be glee for some but it certainly isn’t for the fish.WUF have a powerful voice with NRW but of course they won’t they want numbers at any cost to the fish.I witnessed an angler catch a fish in late September many years ago, when he got it on the bank the spawn was being ejected all over the grass. Despite what we are told imo some fish caught late in the season will not survive so if you really want to see the river back to its former glory don’t fish for the spawners.

ReplyQuote
rightangle
(@rightangle)
05/11/2017 2:19 pm  

Totally agree. If the recent thread on the subject on SFF is anything to go by there was only one in favour of keeping the extension and that seemed to be based on "well it's only a week so why worry."  one could say however if it's only a week getting rid of the anomaly should be no problem.  Let's go for it. 

Can any one think of who would be against the revision and why?

ReplyQuote
rightangle
(@rightangle)
05/11/2017 4:42 pm  

Just to clarify.  All in favour of an end of September finish not just the abandonment of the week extension at the top end.

ReplyQuote
Shadowdog
(@shadowdog)
05/11/2017 5:39 pm  

I would right angle, if WSA wants to protect the fish they should lobby NRW to end the season at the end of September and EA if nesscessary. I would like to think WSA will.

ReplyQuote
peter@chiltonscomputers.co.uk
(@peterchiltonscomputers-co-uk)
Member Admin
06/11/2017 9:44 am  

Im sure that most salmon anglers on the Wye would rather start in February and finish at the end of september - it makes sense especially when you realise that almost 20% of the total 2017 catch consisted of spawners caught in October. So, who would argue against it?

Edited: 3 months  ago

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©[2017]wye salmon association

Forgot your details?