Otters  

Page 3 / 3 Prev
  RSS

Geoff Maynard
(@geoff-maynard)
05/11/2017 10:12 pm  

Missing the point again which is that the parasites that the illegally stocked Barbel brought to the Wye didn't occur there until the Barbel were stocked .... Im sure that all the fish in the Wye now have the Barbel parasite.... 

Pomphorhynchus laevis

https://www.livescience.com/4335-tricky-parasite-creates-deadly-threesome.html

its not surprising that the Otters won't eat them...

Nasty little buggers. But if as you suppose, every species now is infected...? I'm an expert at missing the point. What is it you think Otter "won't eat"

ReplyQuote
peter@chiltonscomputers.co.uk
(@peterchiltonscomputers-co-uk)
Member Admin
06/11/2017 9:38 am  

According to your anecdotal evidence Otters are more likely to eat Barbel on rivers other than the Wye. I wonder why that is, maybe stocked otters are more likely to eat Barbel as they are so easy to catch? Maybe Wye Otters are fed up of Barbel at every meal and are now eating crayfish and other denizens?

ReplyQuote
Geoff Maynard
(@geoff-maynard)
06/11/2017 12:10 pm  

Well, there aren't many salmon in the Kennet or Gt Ouse so perhaps salmon are the otter's 'preferred diet' on the Wye, now the eels have declined? Salmon are the easiest fish to locate - they show themselves all the time unlike barbel or chub - and salmon are pretty much the only carcasses I find on the riverbank; and so we return to my original post in this thread.

Scientific evidence? "You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
06/11/2017 4:44 pm  

Surely the salmon carcasses are the left overs of the catch and release upstream?

As for the weatherman, well it would help if he ventured outside the cosy confines of his house occasionally 🙂

ReplyQuote
Geoff Maynard
(@geoff-maynard)
06/11/2017 9:48 pm  
Posted by: peter@chiltonscomputers.co.uk

Surely the salmon carcasses are the left overs of the catch and release upstream?

As for the weatherman, well it would help if he ventured outside the cosy confines of his house occasionally 🙂

According to some geezer I know upriver, they are more likely to have no adipose fin! And it's true, most of the ones I see on the bank don't have one. Nor much else... 😉 I wonder what scientists would make of it? I bet their report would be riddled with words like 'could', 'might' and 'it's possible that..'  - pretty much like the German report on that parasite in fact.

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
07/11/2017 2:30 pm  

needs more investigation .....

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3 Prev

Working

Please Login or Register

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©[2017]wye salmon association

Forgot your details?